Applying the Contiguity
Principle
Summary:
This chapter introduces ways on how to present and integrate text and graphics
together using a media device. Authors from our text debate that viewing text
and visuals at the same time could add cognitive load for learners. Studies
suggest that multimedia designs improve learning by reducing cognitive load
(Horton, 2011, Mayer 2001).
There are
two important elements to consider when bridging printed words and graphics.
Contiguity
principle 1- Place printed words near corresponding graphics
2- Synchronize
spoken words with corresponding graphics
Planning of
instructional activities and choice of multimedia must work together according
to (Irlbeck et al., 2006).
Purpose- The
impact that multimedia has on learning has become an intricate part of student learning
and success. There are ways to improve media design with instruction so that
teachers will have a means of documenting data and for students to complete
task focusing on the specific assignment given.
Reflection:
Technology continues to be at the forefront for distance learners because of
the flexibility and other variables that contribute to the success of the
programs offered. The contiguity principle was relevant to our ISD project
because we had to examine the tools that were chosen in comparison to
implementing text and found this to be crucial to the operating of the tool
within the setting it would be used with elementary students.
I still feel
very strong that education technology has been an amazing way to bridge the gap
with learning. Personally I know what difficulty I’ve faced being limited in my
knowledge with technology but I’m learning some interesting things about
various mobile devices that will contribute to my next career goal. I agree
with Huang (2015) that learners can connect new information whether visual or
auditory.
References
Clark, R.C.,
Mayer, M.E., E-Learning and the Science of Instruction (3rd ed.).
pp. 91-110. Pfeiffer.
Huang, W.D.,
Melli, N.C., & Neto, J.D. (2015).
Online learning: audio or text? Educational
Technology Research and
Development, 63(4), pp. 555-573.
Thank you Joann,
ReplyDeleteYour blog helped put the contiguity principle into perspective. It is good to keep this concept in mind when creating course curriculum. It makes sense that seeing text near visual aids,though it may seem to be something simple, that it actually contributes to reducing cognitive overload. When I think of the amount of images we are provided when learning through any media, the amount of extraneous workload we are actually being spared by the principle of contiguity being recognized and practiced in curriculum development, contributes greatly to learning especially in types of learning where there is a great amount of detail to grasp. I can appreciate the findings of research that this principle is founded upon.
Good job in covering this portion of the text assigned,
Paul S. Roche
Hi Paul
DeleteThanks for your reply. It was also interesting how one can overlook the small things that can interfere with learning. An example that the text gave was when you have graphics and written text on two different screens and the learner has to go back and forth to figure things out. It is time consuming and personally I find it can be very distracting based on test/assessments. Staying abreast of current research always has its advantages and it causes educators to stay ahead of principles and practices that will work for our students.
JoAnn,
ReplyDeleteYour review was very beneficial in understanding the main points of chapter 5. The contiguity principle closely parallels the redundancy principle. I have had to design a few visual lessons, and I agree that it is totally logical to place the text with the corresponding graphics and to align the narration with the graphics. While I have limited experience in designing visual lessons, I plan to gain much more experience as I put to use the concepts given in the book. I agree, as you pointed out, that technology affords enormous potential for teachers to create effective visual lessons. Thank you for sharing your thoughts in such an insightful way.
Tammy
Tammy
DeleteWhen I was reading about the redundancy principle, I kept flipping back to the contiguity to see how they coincided and they reflect each other. I agree that these chapters will help us take a closer look at lessons whether we design them or they are selected for us as to how they enhance learning for students. It has definitely been at the forefront with our ISD project.
Hello Joanne,
ReplyDeleteIt was a pleasure reading your post this week. Your chapter is very important, especially to visual learners. Similar to you, in my EDUC 638 class, my group left a person who was not too keen on technology in charge of the infographics section. She asked a few questions after doing her research but I feel that she did a great job on her first infographics. Personally, I feel that graphics with words helped me make major connections for subjects that I found difficult. With assistants and the eagerness to learn, you can concord technology and help students.
Hey Ashley
ReplyDeleteI must say although no one likes the cost of textbooks, I have found this one to be a good resource. It clearly outlines what is important when utilizing certain aspects of how technology can enhance learning.
Hi Jo Ann,
ReplyDeleteIf I had to argue if graphics and text added to cognitive load, I would say that it did but in a good way if that is possible. Graphics is especially helpful to a visual learner. Multimedia requires more brain power because content is presented in a multifaceted way. Great and informative post! We are living in an ever changing tehnological, global society.
Hi Terrie
ReplyDeleteThis does allow for some interesting conversation on the pros and cons of the contiguity principle. Based on the learner as a former preschool teacher, I can see how too much information whether graphic or just print could alter the processing of information. I am learning so much through the classes I've been in because I was one of those individuals who was late to jump on board with technology.