Technology has made an impact on distance learning. From multiple choice to having students create projects. Change is difficult for most individuals. One of the main challenges with assessment is funding and support for staff. The quality of teachers to distribute assessment that is fair and appropriate for all learners is part of the dynamics of this topic. The assessments that are being used to day consist of quizzes, discussion boards and collaborative projects. According to Concord Consortium (2002), online assessment should be continuous and ongoing. A major key factor with assessment is to focus on the diversity of learners with context that is culturally relevant.
References
Kearnes, L. R. (2012). Student assessment in online learning: Challenges and effective practices. Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 8(3), 198.
Rice, D. W., & Gordon, E. W. (2014). A challenge to assessment for education: The Journal of Negro
Education, 83(4), 430-432.
Jo Ann,
ReplyDeleteYou hit the nail on the head with the comment about one of main problems is support for teachers! As a past classroom teacher I can attest to this problem, it can be very overwhelming for teachers. I also agree with the fact that assessments should address the diversity of the learner. It is very frustrating to differentiate for a student all year long just to watch them suffer through an end of grade test that every other child is taking.
Rebecca
DeleteI remember the stress on the parents and children at the elementary level when I was a classroom teacher. As a preschool teacher, we could not go outdoors because the school was on lockdown during testing which usually was about 3 hours in the morning. Most frustrating that I heard from other teachers was to see a child with special challenges trying to test when this was not a part of his routine.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAmen sister! Now....if you were the decision maker regarding assessments, what is the first thing you would change?
ReplyDeleteDoc
I would not have end of the year assessment for elementary students. The data that is collected continues to have controversy when the reports are released.
DeleteWith education, there is a heavy emphasis on diversity of learners already but what I found interesting was your reference to culturally relevant. A good educator will design and teach knowing who their audience is.
ReplyDeletePam
DeleteI have found that schools are diversified based on a number of factors. A teacher may have very good intentions to address the needs of her students but we know that curriculum issues, and assessments are not necessarily designed so students can be successful. This makes for an interesting conversation. Is there anything about your school curriculum that you would change or assessments?
From the research that I’ve been doing for EDUC 633 and EDUC 638 creativity is was one of the 21st-century skills that I’ve been coming across this semester. By teaching students to think outside of the box, the can formulate new ideas that will help them for a lifetime and it could potentially enable students to create something that’s will be useful in the future. I agree that with the proper assessment students can achieve new milestones and mentally grow to produce invaluable skills that will help them in the future.
ReplyDeleteHi Ashley
ReplyDeleteI think with the world of technology, it opens the door for learners to expand their creativity. We see it happening as we are exploring through this journey with online learning. What kind of assessments have you used that you would recommend to educators?