Let's first take a look at the nine steps as it relates to instruction according to Khadjooi, et al (2011).
1. Gain attention
2. Inform learner of objective
3. Stimulate recall of prior information
4. Present information
5. Provide guidance
6. Elicit performance
7. Provide feedback
8. Assess performance
9. Enhance retention and transfer
These steps are very similar to the framework of Bloom's Taxonomy and every educator has heard the term. When designing instruction, it is important to consider how technology best promotes learning according to Spector. Gagne's theory supports the objectives from a behaviorist perception in that to meet the needs of learners, there should be a combination of behavioral and cognitive theories with the addition of technology as a tool to increase learning.
One main strength of Gagne's theory is the means in which human learning and performance are increased based on prior knowledge and learning styles. Teachers and learners are challenged to creatively design new competencies due to learned behaviors. Gagne's theory can be applied to K-12, and adult learners. For the preschool population, there is some modification required. I would apply this model through lesson planning, practice activities in order that an impact for learners is effective and motivated.
References:
Khadjooi, K., Rostami, K., & Ishaq, S. (2011). How to use Gagne's model of instructional design in teaching psychomotor skills. Gastroenterology and Hepatology From Bed to Bench, 4(3), 16-119.
Spector, J.M., Merrill, M.D., Elen, J., & Bishop, M. J., (Eds.), Handbook of research on educational communications and technology, pp. 608-611. New York, NY: Springer.
Hi Jo Ann,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog on Gagne’s Nine Steps of Instruction. I also chose to research this theory for my blog. I agree that the Gagne’s Nine Steps of Instruction are very similar to Bloom’s Taxonomy, and that an instructor needs to consider how technology will best promote learning. I also agree that this theory can be used for all different types of learners. I believe that this theory can be used well with adult learners. It can be differentiated to meet the diverse needs that adult learners have especially for online classes. Great job on your blog!
Thanks Kim,
DeleteDifferentiating instruction is a big part of learning for all learners as we agree. I was a preschool teacher for 25 years and what I found in many cases with instruction with several models is that we often had to modify to meet the goals for students. Because we didn't do a lot of traditional testing, that is an area where we had to adjust how we assessed learning.
Hi JoAnn,
ReplyDeleteGood choice here! Now - how are you planning to apply this theory to your ISD project? Looking forward to your thoughts!
Dr Courduff
Thanks Dr.Courduff
DeleteI hope that having this guide from Gagne's theory will help me in contributing to our group project. Focusing on how we will link this theory and technology will be interesting.
JoAnn,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your thoughts in such an insightful and concise manner. Indeed, educators use Bloom’s taxonomy as a guideline when designing instruction, and Gagne’s theory correlates very closely. As you pointed out, designing instruction to include technology within the constraints of Bloom’s taxonomy requires proficiency in technology skills. Two years ago, I worked for a company as a designer for an online business math course. The work required the other authors and I to follow Bloom’s taxonomy as we submitted lessons that covered each standard that aligned with each specific topic. The steps of Gagne’s theory you included in your blog relate well with the work in which I was involved.
Tammy Clayton
Hi Tammy,
DeleteOne of the interesting things that has come out of this discussion is to hear how others have shared their experiences in other careers where Gagne's steps have been part of their implementing task. As a former preschool teacher, we always struggled a little with implementing all the steps involved with Bloom's taxonomy whereas, with Gagne's steps, there appears to be more flexibility to modify.
Jo Ann,
ReplyDeleteBefore this course I had never heard about Gagne's theories of learning so thank you for your research and excellent presentation of the nine steps. As a current educator I have hear A LOT about Bloom's Taxonomy and I feel that technology should always support content and pedagogy in a TPACK type model. I agreed with Gagne in that I do think that our knowledge is increased when we already have prior knowledge of something. For example in the classroom if you tell students that the wind speed is like it is at the beach but a student has never been to the beach then they wouldn't have the prior knowledge of knowing that it is most of the time very windy. Can't wait to see how this can be applied to our ISD project.
-Rebecca Stokes
Rebecca,
DeleteGreat example of the wind!!!! Coming from a small rural town, I have seen so many children who lack experiences like going to the beach and therefore can not link it to #3 & #7 of Gagne's theory. Technology can now replace that with the visuals made available for students to explore and learn.
Hello Joann,
ReplyDeleteThank you for such a well planned post.
What I like most about going to school and gaining an education is coming across knowledge that is not always readily available. I never heard of Gagne's 9 steps, but the steps in part I have used to present information to students. One in particular to inform the learner of the objective is very important to me. I always want to know what is the point and the "why" of doing something, like most elementary students. Stimulating recall and prior knowledge is also one that I've used. An educator always wants to know where their student stand in regards to learning a subject matter.
Hey Terrie,
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing more rewarding than learning something new and that is one of my goals as an educator is to always try to stay abreast of current research. I have not done a very good job with technology (lol) but I can say with each class, I learned something. I also think it is valuable to build upon student's prior knowledge and experiences because it is one way to differentiate instruction. Gagne's theory is one that I think I will reflect on and share with other educators.
When I read this, it immediately took me back to my days in undergrad when I was being taught how to write lesson plans. This format is almost identical. When designing a lesson or unit, you want to get the student's interest by either doing an activity, telling a story or getting their attention. Then you talk about what you are going to do in the lesson, tie it back to what we already know about the subject, present the new material, give guided practice and independent practice, give feedback and then have a summative assessment at the end. As we are doing our ISD projects this will be a good model for us to follow.
ReplyDeleteHi Amanda,
DeleteGood that you were somewhat familiar with this concept. Having taught for 25 years, the level of lesson planning changed many times. I appreciate the guide that this theory of instruction is going to provide for me doing this project. Good luck with your project!